Updated June 3, 2020
IGB COVID-19 Documents
All Plans (one document)
June 3 Director's Message
After many weeks of difficult adjustments to our professional and social lives, I am encouraged that on June 3 we will begin a limited re-opening of the IGB. My sincere thanks and gratitude to everyone who has been working remotely from home or other temporary office areas, dealing with the closing of daycare facilities and schools, and undertaking so many additional responsibilities that could not have been foreseen at the beginning of the semester. We are not out of the woods yet, but we can now begin to resume our research at the bench and in the field with the proper precautions, which I know many of us are excited to do.
We should all be proud of the contributions the IGB has made to our community during this time, whether it be the expert modeling that influenced the Governor’s decisions from the beginning, or the weekly production of thousands and thousands of vials of viral transport medium within our own labs to support the State’s testing infrastructure, to current efforts by our faculty to create efficient, widespread testing on this campus. Amidst unprecedented crisis, the IGB has found a new way to honor our motto, using science to benefit society!
As we begin our return, however, we will see changes in our building and in our daily routine. These changes will require some adjustment, and we can expect them to last for some time. We will also likely see them evolve as new knowledge and best practices come to light. I ask everyone to bear with us as we implement and evaluate guidance from the campus and the state, because these new rules are designed for the sake of protecting the health of the entire IGB community. Among the most crucial to follow are:
- Face coverings are required for anyone entering or operating in the building. They may be removed only when in a private office with the door closed.
- The IGB building will not be open to the public, and all outside and theme doors will be locked requiring card access. IGB building hours will be 7am-11pm, Monday through Saturday, closed on Sunday for additional cleaning.
- Card access to the building is extremely important and therefore no doors may be propped open at any time, each individual must use their card to access any door (do not hold doors open for others)
- All individuals must complete the COVID-19 Safety Training which can be taken online at https://www.drs.illinois.edu/Page/COVID19CampusSafety.
- New directional and informational signage has been installed, please follow all directions completely. This includes floor signage as well.
- In addition to an institute-level plan, each research theme has developed their own plan to address their specific needs. Please refer to your theme’s plan with any questions pertaining to lab hours, research work, and safety measures.
- The Core Facilities will be operating and have developed and implemented a specific plan.
- Of course, if you are not feeling well, please stay home.
You can download a copy of the complete re-opening document here: https://go.igb.illinois.edu/IGBreopen. We need to take care of each other by following each and every one of these guidelines. As members of the IGB community, I expect that each of you will do so without exception. If at any point you have concerns, suggestions, or issues you can submit them anonymously via our online form at https://www.igb.illinois.edu/webform/covid_19_issue_reporting.
As we move through the phases of returning to our labs and our offices, please keep your safety and the safety of those around you paramount. Your actions can have direct effects on the well-being of others in the IGB. We have a long road ahead of us, and this marks an important first step. I have no doubt we will adapt and thrive as we have always done.
March 24th Update
Upon review of the current state of affairs and the shelter-in-place order from Governor Pritzker, as well as considering decisions made in other academic and public settings, the IGB has made several decisions for the remainder of this semester effective immediately.
All events, meetings, and symposia have been postponed, with as many as possible rescheduled. This includes seminars, visiting speakers, annual events such as the Fellows Symposium, public events such as Art of Science, and large internal gatherings such as theme-wide meetings. All administrative staff, faculty, students, and postdocs will be working remotely. Those who have essential duties and are on-site to perform said duties should vacate the IGB building as soon as their tasks are complete. Any individual who feels undue pressure from a supervisor to perform work should contact us immediately. Everyone should continue to use best practices already established regarding handwashing, overall hygiene, and social distancing.
Entrance to the IGB will be available for IGB personnel. CNRG, Operations and Facilities, and the Business Office will be operating with essential staff only, working remotely. Shipping and Receiving, Array Cafe, 607 Computer Classroom, and Core Facilities are closed.
We truly regret these disruptions to our vibrant community. The IGB is committed everyone's welfare and will post further updates as necessary. For official news from campus please refer to covid19.illinois.edu which is a central repository with links to resources, a list of the latest updates, FAQs, and contact information for specific concerns. Please also free to contact us with any concerns you may have.