The Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (IGB) will provide the workshop-based certificate program Professional Skills for Careers in Biosciences (PSCB) for the second year.
The PSCB workshop series is intended for graduate students and postdocs to develop and enhance their universal job skills including communication, professionalism, marketing, budgeting, and leadership. Each of the thirteen workshops throughout the year will combine lectures, activities, writing, and presentations to cover topics related to many bioscience career paths including academia, industry, entrepreneurship, policy, teaching, science writing and others.
The topics covered will include: career paths in biosciences, fundamentals of science communication, ethics in science and the workplace, building and leading a successful team, communicating with the media, solving problems as a leader, the currency of bioscience and money management, marketing yourself and your science, graphic design, and engaging the community. The course will end with a capstone project that will combine all of the topics within specific career tracks.
Workshops will begin September 2019 and registration will open in August. More information on speakers and a finalized schedule will be available when registration opens. If you have questions, contact IGB Outreach Education Coordinator, Erin Louer at email@example.com.
• Registration is for 12 workshops (held in 612 at IGB) plus 1 capstone event (held at I Hotel)
• Each workshop will meet from 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM (lunch provided)
• Participants must attend 75% of sessions (9 of 12) and the final capstone event for credit. Makeup work may be done for 1 session, at most.
• A certificate is offered after completion of the capstone event
• No homework required
Tentative Workshop Schedule
Workshop 1: Thursday, September 19, 2019
- Introduction to PSCB and Visualizing Career Success (group panel)
Workshop 2: Thursday, October 3, 2019
- The Fundamentals of Communication - Thomas Costello, Department of Communication
Workshop 3: Thursday, October 17, 2019
- Building and Leading a Successful Team, Scott Magnuson, Cheif Scientific Officer and Founder of Paradise Genomics
Workshop 4: Thursday, October 31, 2019
- Master the Art of Negotiation, Jim Dahl, Professor, Gies College of Business
Workshop 5: Thursday, November 7, 2019
- Writing a Compelling Resume and CV, Mike Firmand, Assistant Director of Employer Outreach, Graduate College
Workshop 6: Thursday, November 21, 2019
- Communicating your Science with a Story, Liz Neeley, Executive Director, Story Collider
Workshop 7: Thursday, December 5, 2019
- Shaping Policy with Science, Kathie Olsen, Founder and Managing Director of ScienceWorks
Spring 2020 Dates:
Workshop 8: Thursday, February 6, 2020
Workshop 9: Thursday, February 20, 2020
Workshop 10: Thursday, March 5, 2020
Workshop 11: Thursday, March 26, 2020
Workshop 12: Thursday, April 9, 2020
Capstone Project Presentations: Saturday, April 18, 2020
• Attendance necessary to receive the certificate
• The event will be held at the I Hotel and Conference Center