The IGB recognizes that systemic inequities result in the lack of diverse representation in genomics research and beyond. We value equality and respect for every member of our community. Investigators, students, and staff from diverse backgrounds bring their lived experiences and unique perspectives to their work. This diversity improves our ability to solve problems and be responsive to societal needs. As such, we are committed to supporting innovative projects that integrate diversity, equity, inclusion, and wellness with research at the IGB.
We are seeking to fund projects that:
- Showcase diverse ways of practicing science by researchers from underrepresented communities
- Provide training for researchers who are not underrepresented on how to be an ally/accomplice and provide consistent reminders of racism, sexism, and other inequities to scientists in the majority group who experience discrimination less frequently.
- Create a culture of inclusion and wellness for IGB community members
- Produce a welcoming environment for all groups in the IGB (including those from underrepresented groups)
- Support members from underrepresented groups at the IGB
- Support service, outreach, and/or education work performed by IGB researchers and staff
Requirements and criteria:
Proposals must go beyond invited seminar speakers or existing programming. Individuals affiliated with IGB and/or collaborative groups of faculty, staff, postdocs, graduate, and undergraduate students can apply. Groups that also have non-IGB affiliated participants are welcome. Application submissions open April 5th at 9:00 AM CST and close May 8th at 5:00 PM CST.
Awards will be available for 16 months and can be used as the awardee sees fit but should not be used to pay summer salaries or to purchase any gift cards.
At the end of the 16-month award period, awardees will be expected to submit a project summary and schedule a time to speak with the Committee of Diversity Task Force (CODTF) about their project’s accomplishments during one of the CODTF’s weekly Friday meetings.
Please submit a three-to-five-page proposal, including:
- Project overview (2 pages)
- Including who will be working on the project (other university groups/labs and/or external partners) as well as if and how IGB staff support would be needed to implement the project (i.e. Outreach/Communications/etc.).
- Proposed budget and justification (maximum of $10k, 1 page). Sample budget can be found here.
- Detailed timeline and desired outcomes (1 page)
All proposals will be reviewed by the IGB Committee on Diversity and Executive Committee.
For questions, please contact Ripan Malhi (firstname.lastname@example.org).