The Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (IGB) will provide the workshop-based certificate program, Professional Skills for Careers in Biosciences (PSCB), for the fifth year.
The PSCB workshop series is intended for graduate students and postdocs to develop and enhance their universal job skills, including communication, professionalism, marketing, budgeting, and leadership. Each of the thirteen workshops throughout the year will cover topics related a variety of bioscience career paths, including academia, industry, entrepreneurship, policy, teaching, science writing, and others. The course will end with a communications workshop lead by Story Collider.
Workshops will begin September 2022, and registration will open the end of August.
If you have questions, contact IGB Outreach Education Coordinator, Erin Louer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Registration is for 12 workshops plus one capstone event
• Each workshop will meet from 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM
• Participants must attend 75% of sessions (9 of 12) and the final capstone event for credit.
• A certificate is offered after completion of the capstone event
• No homework required
Tentative Workshop Schedule
Workshop 1: Thursday, September 29, 2022
- Career Panel
Workshop 2: Thursday, October 6, 2022
- Writing a Compelling Resume and CV
Workshop 3: Thursday, October 20, 2022
- Communicating Science Through Journalism and Multimedia
Workshop 4: Thursday, November 3, 2022
- Government Relations for Research, Healthcare, and Education
Workshop 5: Thursday, November 17, 2022
- Design Principles for Scientists
Workshop 6: Thursday, December 1, 2022
Workshop 7: Thursday, January 26, 2023
Workshop 8: Thursday, February 9, 2023
Workshop 9: Thursday, February 23, 2023
Workshop 10: Thursday, March 9, 2023
Workshop 11: Thursday, March 23, 2023
Workshop 12: Thursday, April 6, 2023
Workshop 13: Saturday, April 15, 2023*
- The Story Collider
*Please note, attendance is mandatory for the final workshop to receive the certificate and will take place from 9 AM to 4 PM.