The Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (IGB) will provide the workshop-based certificate program Professional Skills for Careers in Biosciences (PSCB) for graduate students and postdocs to develop and enhance their universal job skills including communication, professionalism, marketing, budgeting, and leadership. Each of the thirteen workshops throughout the year will combine lectures, activities, writing, and presentations to cover topics related to many bioscience career paths including academia, industry, entrepreneurship, policy, teaching, science writing and others.
The topics covered will include: career paths in biosciences, fundamentals of science communication, ethics in science and the workplace, building and leading a successful team, communicating with the media, solving problems as a leader, the currency of bioscience and money management, marketing yourself and your science, graphic design, and engaging the community. The course will end with a capstone project that will combine all of the topics within specific career tracks.
Workshops will start September 2018 and registration will open in July. More information on speakers and a finalized schedule will be available when registration opens. If you have questions, contact IGB Outreach Education Coordinator, Erin Louer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Registration is for 12 workshops (held in 612 at IGB) plus 1 capstone event (held at I Hotel)
• Each workshop will meet from 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM (lunch provided)
• Participants must attend 75% of sessions (9 of 12) and the final capstone event for credit. Makeup work may be done for 1 session, at most.
• A certificate is offered after completion of the capstone event
• No homework required
• Download a copy of the flyer here.
Tentative Workshop Schedule
Workshop 1: Thursday, September 13, 2018
• Introduction to PSCB and Visualizing Career Success (group panel)
Workshop 2: Thursday, September 27, 2018
• Effectively Communicating for Yourself, Your Research or Your Company
Workshop 3: Thursday, October 11, 2018
• Ethics in Science and the Workplace
Workshop 4: Thursday, October 25, 2018
• Building and Leading a Successful Team
Workshop 5: Thursday, November 1, 2018
• Utilizing Interviews to Define Your Brand
Workshop 6: Thursday, November 15, 2018
• Master the Art of Negotiation
Workshop 7: Thursday, December 6, 2018
• Solving Problems as a Leader
Workshop 8: Thursday, February 14, 2019
• Funding in Bioscience
Workshop 9: Thursday, February 28, 2019
• The Science of Money Management
Workshop 10: Thursday, March 14, 2019
• Protecting and Selling your Science
Workshop 11: Thursday, March 28, 2019
• Designing a Science Marketing Strategy
Workshop 12: Thursday, April 11, 2019
• Communicating to Engage
Capstone Project Presentations: Saturday, April 13, 2019
• Attendance necessary to receive the certificate
• The event will be held at the I Hotel and Conference Center