The Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (IGB) will provide the workshop-based certificate program, Professional Skills for Careers in Biosciences (PSCB), for the sixth year.
The PSCB workshop series is intended for graduate students and postdocs to develop and enhance their universal job skills, including communication, professionalism, marketing, budgeting, and leadership. Each of the thirteen workshops throughout the year will cover topics related a variety of bioscience career paths, including academia, industry, entrepreneurship, policy, teaching, science writing, and others. The course will end with a communications workshop lead by Story Collider.
Workshops will begin September 2023, and registration will open in August. Questions? Contact us.
• Registration is for 12 workshops plus one capstone event
• Each workshop will meet from 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
• Participants must attend 75% of sessions (9 of 12) and the final capstone event for credit.
• A certificate is offered after completion of the capstone event
• No homework required
Tentative Workshop Schedule
Workshop 1: Thursday, September 14, 2023
- Career Panel
Workshop 2: Thursday, September 28, 2023
- Writing a Compelling Resume and CV
Workshop 3: Thursday, October 5, 2023
- Design Principles for Scientists
Workshop 4: Thursday, October 19, 2023
- Interviewing and Networking
Workshop 5: Thursday, November 2, 2023
- Improving Data Visualization
Workshop 6: Thursday, November 16, 2023
- Mastering the Art of Negotiations
Workshop 7: Thursday, November 30, 2023
Workshop 8: Thursday, January 25, 2024
Workshop 9: Thursday, February 8, 2024
Workshop 10: Thursday, February 22, 2024
Workshop 11: Thursday, March 7, 2024
Workshop 12: Thursday, March 21, 2024
Capstone: Saturday, April 6, 2024*
- The Story Collider
*Please note, attendance is mandatory for the final workshop to receive the certificate and will take place from 9 AM to 4 PM.